Thonga Beach Lodge is set on the pristine shores of the Maputuland Coast, KwaZulu-Natal. This 24-bed luxury lodge is the ideal place to discover one of Africa’s last unspoiled wilderness beaches. It is a magical place of coastal forests, grasslands, bush, shimmering lakes and exquisite sandy beaches. Its crystal clear, warm waters offer South Africa’s best snorkeling and excellent off-shore SCUBA diving and excellent birding opportunities. Guided birding, scorpion & spider walks & Turtle Tracking are offered in season. The 12 thatched bush suites offer either Ocean or Forest Views with Deluxe Ocean Views room sporting private plunge pools. The suites are positioned to afford maximum privacy & minimal environmental impact. Excellent cuisine is enjoyed al fresco on the dining deck or beach deck overlooking the sea. This is an ideal choice for honeymooners, families, SCUBA divers or anyone who wants to simply relax. A civilized distance from civilization.
HOW TO GET THERE
Closest main Airport
- Richards Bay and King Shaka Airports
- Daily flights to Richards Bay ex Johannesburg with SA Express 3hr 30 min road transfer to lodge.
- Daily regional & international flights to King Shaka International Airport 5hr 30 min road transfer to lodge.
Travel times by road from closest major city
- KSIA/Durban to Thonga via road 5hrs 30
- Johannesburg to Thonga via road 8hrs
- 4×4 is required. Twice daily transfers are available from Coastal Cashews at 12h00 and 15h00. Additional charge. Secure parking available at Coastal Cashews for guest vehicles.
- Transfers out of the lodge at 10h30 daily
No. of rooms
The number of rooms available:
- 1 Deluxe Ocean View Family
- 1 Deluxe Ocean View Honeymoon
- 3 Ocean View
- 5 Forest View
- 2 Forest View Family
- Air Conditioning
- Overhead Fans
- Mosquito Nets
- Hair Dryer
- Tea/Coffee Making facilities
- Bar Fridge
Price of rooms
From R3 800 –R6 630 per person per night.
The rates include:
- Accommodation, meals, teas & coffees, use of snorkeling equipment, guided walks, kayaking and sundowners at Lake Sibaya, cultural tours to Mabibi Community.
- Each guest is entitled to 1 of the following on a sundowner excursion at Lake Sibaya, a glass of wine, local beer, cider or soft drink.
- Turtle Package – 3 nights & 1 drive – Forest View (Nov – Feb) Package #20
- Rates from R14 350 pp
- This special package CANNOT be combined with any other special or discount
List of Facilities/ Activities available for guests:
Wilderness beach – unprotected bathing
Turtle tracking (Nov-Feb) – additional charge
SCUBA diving – additional charge
Open ocean experience – additional charge
Kayaking on lake
Guided Forest walks Guided Sundowners at the lake
Guided Cultural tours
Is there Wi-Fi available in reception areas?
- Free in lounge area only.
- Can be slow & intermittent due to the satellite connection.
What guests should bring/dress code:
- Comfortable, casual & cool, swimwear, hats & sandals for the beach.
- All weather windbreaker & comfortable sturdy walking shoes.
- Smart casual wear for dinner.
Important information guests should be aware of:
- Check-in/out times: 12h00 & 10h00
- Children welcome
- Maximum 6 children under 8yrs
- Dinners served separately
- Malaria – Low Risk
- All Major credit cards are accepted
- Laundry service available
Seasonal Highlights include:
- Nov-Feb Turtle breeding season
- Apr-June Best Weather
- Diving – best in Summer Dec-May average visibility is 15-20 meters
- June-Sep average visibility is 10-15 meters