LIMPOPO FIELD GUIDING ACADEMY
”Once a Limpopo Ranger, Always a Limpopo Ranger!”
Limpopo Field Guiding Academy (LFGA) prides itself on being an industry leader in the training and development of Safari Guides in Africa. Based in Limpopo, South Africa, we have training sites in Gauteng, Limpopo and Mpumalanga – all of our sites are developed around nature immersion, and we subscribe to the philosophy of “switching off and tuning out”. With a focus on minimal ecological impact, our base camp is tented and vehicle-based activities are kept to a minimum.
Established in 2003, LFGA has become synonymous with quality, and our graduates are to be found adding value to the greater conservation effort in all parts of Africa. Not only do we produce guides, trackers and rangers of the highest quality, we also believe that our students become part of the LFGA family.
HOW TO GET THERE
Closest main airport
- OR Tambo International or Lanseria – both are one hour away from base camp at Dinokeng Game Reserve.
Closest major city
- 30 minutes north of Pretoria
FGASA Field Guide
- Full FGASA endorsed Field Guide (Level 1) course – all aspects of nature and guiding skills covered, including the evaluations for the CATHSSETA National Qualification (NQF2).
- Duration of Course: 2 months
- FGASA Level 2 and 3 can be done with us after work experience
Mentorship courses towards FGASA and CATHSSETA qualifications
- Shorter mentorship courses towards FGASA and CATHSSETA qualifications, a training intensive for those on time and money budgets.
- Duration: 3 or 4-week
Track and Sign course
- Track and Sign course with the option of CyberTracker evaluation.
- Duration: One-week duration.
- Birding course
- Duration: One week
FGASA endorsed Back-up Trails guide course
Basic introduction to Dangerous Game guiding
- Duration: One-week
Advanced Rifle Handling (ARH) course
Knowledge Enhancement course
- Duration: One-week
Training takes place at the following venues:
- Dinokeng GR (Gauteng)
- Mabula GR (Limpopo)
- Loskop NR (Mpumalanga).
- We also have training venues in Timbavati, Greater Kruger National Park
- Base Camp for the FGASA endorsed Field Guide course is Dinokeng GR
What Students should bring
For both the 2 month or 3-4 week courses)
- As many reference books as you have (course notes are supplied)
- Bring at least 2 sets of khaki uniform, for bush excursions (shirts essential)
- Binoculars – essential
- Car cell phone charger.
- Flashlight (Torch) (Headlamp very NB!)
- Pens, pencils, exam pad (make sure you write on both sides of your paper!).
- “Bush clothes” (neutral coloured clothing) – bright and white do not belong in the bush.
- PLEASE ONLY BRING CLOTHING FOR 1 WEEK AS SPACE IS LIMITED. WASHING FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE.
- Something warm to wear.
- Walking boots/shoes (plenty of walking)
- Water bottle, sunblock, hat.
- Soft drinks, snacks etc. ( Three meals per day are provided )
- Toiletries and Towel
- Your own bedding (Sleeping bag and pillow or similar)
- Swimming clothes
- Insect Repellent
We pride ourselves on giving the very best quality training at the most affordable rates.